Monday, May 15, 2006

Possibilities

Possibilities
lie in the
birth of each new day
there are choices to make
and words to formulate


every time the sun
floats up to
its illustrious spot
in our humble sky
is a chance
to do something
amazing
it is a renewal
of hope
to live the life
we have envisioned
for ourselves

I look out
my car windows
eyes tired
from a restless night
and heart beating
for a dream untrue
and sense that
my life is headed
for something
more than
the sum of its parts
the mistakes I’ve made
no longer weigh me down
and words I regret
not saying
have been evicted
from my memory
like the lyrics
of once loved songs

I see the beauty
of my surroundings
and feel lucky
to live in this place
mt hood on fire
to my right
backlit by a halo of light
and the moon
to my left
sitting happily
in its exalted perch
fighting the daylight
and wanting to be seen
it makes me feel
optimistic and light
lessening the hurts
of the previous day
of the previous 26 years

I drive on
although I’d rather be sleeping
at this early hour
I drive on
to see more beauty unfold
as the minutes tick past
I drive on
to make my dreams
sharper and more malleable
I drive on
to spend 9 hours in a building
I’d rather burn down
I drive on
to alter the path
I’ve laid for myself
I drive on

February 15, 2006

No comments: