Monday, May 15, 2006

Kim

Halloween
anniversaries
nights spent talking
laughing and wondering
how our lives would unfold


first loves
first broken hearts
and last looks
the dissection of every word said
every gesture performed
big milestones and
baby steps
every mundane thing
honored and validated

I call you Friend
a title not given lightly
or without implication
we’re family
sisters
souls come together in recognition

fights and tension
old wounds aired
brought into the light
to keep them from
festering in the darkness

what is between us now
is history
still in the making
I’m active in your life
as a memory
a bookmark
and sometimes voice of reason
or dictionary
to the familiar unknowns

call me and tell me
of your newest woe
and I’ll listen
with an empathetic heart
checking my judgment
as we go along
I am no one to say
where you should go
in love
or who with

just be careful with your heart
because when you break
I fragment a bit with you
we are of the same stone
that dissected years ago
and it’s buried
deep inside
the foundation of our friendship

don’t ever doubt
how amazing you are
and how proud
I am
to know you


May 7, 2006

No comments: