Friday, May 12, 2006

"The darkest hour of the night comes right before the dawn."

If I am to believe
that dawn is
within my reach
than I can bear
these last 60 minutes

the winding down
of the clock
made that much
more bearable
with a goal in mind
a reason
a person
to look forward to

I see love
all around me
in parents' eyes
in hand holding
in hurried kisses

I read today of
personal legends
our goals in life
our destinies
individually
it said that
the heart speaks
to us as children
and for most
adulthood brings
with it silence
but the dream
is still there
fostered by hope
in some
and fear and dread
in others

if you develop
your dreams in
childhood
what's to be said
for those of us
that grew up
too fast
are childhoods
merely the dream
in and of themselves

I don't know
my personal legend
for sure
but when I'm quiet
when I look
at the stars
I dare to think
that my fate
will be fulfilled
by a great love
a love that makes
you believe
in soul mates
and past lives
and quiet looks in parks
70 years down the line
a love told of
over a cold drink
next to a warm fire
a love the grandkids
wish to have
one day

And maybe my
current loves
are omens
sign posts
down my path
riddled with resistance
and back stepping
and losing faith

They are my angels
backing me up
and keeping me grounded
all while allowing
my dreams
to fly higher
than they have
any reason to do

I wasn't raised
for greatness
I'm of a humble family
our story is of
no more importance
then you and yours
but I have
never felt I belonged
to me and mine
I'm an outsider
part of a duet
who's song has
not yet begun

~ December 26, 2005

No comments: