Friday, August 10, 2007

growing pains

how old is too old
to cry
when you see your dad?


when do you
have to stop being
jealous
and just grow up?

when is it
no longer acceptable
to be a brat?

what do you mean
your life no longer
revolves around me?
I didn’t get that memo

I do want
you to be happy
I just wish that happiness
didn’t trudge so clumsily
upon the fragile
groundwork we laid over
my college education
late night painting sessions
and road trips to Spokane

I wish that your happiness
didn’t have to come
at the expense of mine

I wish that your socialization
didn’t come when
you’re ignoring me most

We all get busy
and have lives
I’m okay that you
have a ready-made family
all moved in
but I’ve been here
for years
I’ve put in my time
I've grown smart
and empathetic
and responsible
in spite of your worst efforts
and I need some
god-damned recognition


july 2007

No comments: